Sunday, October 11, 2009

PW's French Onion Soup

WOW is all I can say about this soup... this was seriously some of the best french onion soup I've had in my life... you may look at the recipe and think "wow, that's a lot of work for soup". But trust me. Make it. It's soooooooo worth it!! Thanks Pioneer Woman!

I fourthed the recipe below since I was just making this for myself (the hubby won't eat onions). It made a big bowl that I admittedly finished in one sitting. Enjoy!

INGREDIENTS

* 1 stick butter
* 4 large yellow onions (or 6 medium/small), halved root to tip and sliced thin
* 1 generous cup dry white wine
* 4 cups low sodium chicken broth (I used Emeril's chicken stock)
* 4 cups beef broth (again, I used Emeril's)
* 2 cloves minced garlic
* Worcestershire sauce
* Several thick slices french bread or baguette
* Appx 6 oz Gruyere cheese, grated (I subbed swiss, but asiago, mozzarella, or romano will work too)

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, covered, for 20 minutes.
3. Place soup pot into oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions will brown. (I covered with foil and just peeled back a little on one side.)
4. Allow onions to cook in oven for 1 hour, stirring at least once so onions don't stick and burn.
5. Remove pot from the oven and place over medium heat. Stir the onions, scraping up all the brown bits off the side.
6. Turn off the heat and pour in the wine. Turn heat back on to medium. Cook the onions and wine together for five minutes, allowing it to reduce.
7. Add both broths, minced garlic, and a couple of shakes of Worcestershire sauce and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30-45 minutes.
8. Butter one side of the bread slices and broil over low heat, allowing bread to brown and become crispy.
9. When the soup is ready, ladle into bowls or ramekins. Place crispy bread on top then sprinkle generously with grated cheese. Broil, watching closely, until cheese is melted and bubbly. Serve immediately.

(Sorry for the especially crappy picture... camera is broken and I had to use my phone.)

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I love french onion soup but have never made it, I need too soon.