Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Twist on Stuffed Peppers

I recently tried Stuffed Peppers for the first time a few months ago. They were SO good!! I found this recipe on allrecipes.com and knew immediately that I wanted to make it! I love feta and will use any recipe as an excuse to eat it :) I altered the recipe a tiny bit, which is posted below. Next time I may add a little ground meat, but this was a great vegetarian option. It was SUPER yummy!

Ingredients

* 1 pack instant rice, cooked (I used Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, which is made in the microwave in 90 seconds)
* 2 bell peppers, halved and seeded (I used one red and one yellow)
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 2 green onions, thinly chopped
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp italian seasoning
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 pinch ground black pepper
* 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet.
2. Place the pepper halves cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet. Roast 15-20 minutes in the oven, or until tender and skin starts to brown on edges.
3. While the peppers are roasting, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook the onions, basil, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in oil for 2-3 minutes. Spoon in the cooked rice and stir until heated through. Remove from heat. Mix in the feta cheese.
4. Remove peppers from oven and spoon in the rice mixture into pepper halves.
5. Stick back in oven for ~5 minutes. Serve immediately.

3 comments:

Mrs.CFH2 said...

Who's going to eat all those peppers? Hmmm...I wonder if they mail well? :)

Lindsay said...

two halves for dinner tonight and the other two for dinner tomorrow!! mmm :)

What's Cookin Chicago said...

Ooh - thanks for posting this! I'm always up for a vegetarian/pescatarian friendly meal!