Sunday, March 15, 2009

PW's Penne a la Betsy

After hearing so many great things about this dish, I decided that I needed to make it asap. OMG. Go make this now. Seriously. This is probably one of the best pasta dishes I've ever had in my life. And that's a HUGE compliment coming from me, the girl who could eat pasta for every meal. MMMMMMMM.

A HUGE thanks to Pioneer Woman for this recipe!

Ingredients

* 1 lb shrimp
* 3/4 lb penne pasta (I used Mezze Penne)
* Butter
* Olive oil
* 1 small onion
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1/2 cup white wine
* 8 oz tomato sauce
* 1 cup heavy cream
* Fresh parsley
* Fresh basil
* Salt & pepper

Directions

1. Cook the penne pasta until al dente.
2. Peel, devein, and rinse 1 lb of extra large shrimp (I used large). Heat about 1 tbsp butter and olive oil in a skillet. Add the shrimp and cook for a couple of minutes until just opaque. Do not overcook! Remove shrimp to a plate and let cool.
3. Finely dice one small onion. Mince two cloves garlic.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2 tbsp butter and 2 tbsp olive oil. Add the garlic and onion and saute, stirring occasionally. Now, put the cooked shrimp on the cutting board, pull off the tails, and chop shrimp into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
5. After the garlic and onions have cooked a bit, add the white wine. Let the wine evaporate for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Add 8 oz plain tomato sauce and stir until well combined. Add 1 cup heavy cream. Continue stirring. Turn the heat down to low and let simmer while you chop your herbs (about 1 tbsp parsley and 1 tbsp basil).
7. Add your the chopped shrimp back into the tomato cream sauce. Stir and add salt/pepper. Add herbs and stir until well combined.
8. Add pasta and stir everything together.
9. DEVOUR!

4 comments:

Carrie said...

YUM! We loved this dish. I need to make it again.

Shelly said...

this was a fabulous pasta. must make it again soon!

Macaroni and Cheesecake said...

I've been wanting to make this dish for a while but just haven't yet. Glad to know it's so good! I just love your blog! I can't believe I didn't have it in my google reader!! I added it right away! I noticed you live in knoxville. I live in cleveland, tn which is just a little over an hour south and work in athens which is even closer, and we come to knoxville sometimes!

pay per head said...

Thanks so much for this post. A combination of advice that I've heard before but always bears repeating; plus new tips that I really ought to consider